Oprah Winfrey has dedicated her life to building her empire and trying to help others in their daily lives through inspiration. How does she do it all? From her television shows, to her magazine, and her school in South Africa and even her own channel, she is one busy woman. How does she have time to fit everything else in and not get stressed out all the time?
As Oprah is celebrates her 60th birthday, here are some living well tips that we can take from her. Writer Lindsay Holmes tells us some of the Queen of media’s greatest well-being tips:
1. Giving is important, no matter what the gift is: Internet memes poke fun at the media maven for her give-ways, but studies have shown that giving things to others can not only help them, but can help us as well. It can improve performance in the workplace and reduce our stress.
2. Meditation can be the key to making your life better: Oprah is a huge supporter of meditation. In fact, she is a Transcendental Meditation practitioner. Oprah will take 20 minutes out of her day, at least twice per day, and meditate. It helps to increase focus and to reduce the stress of the day. She says that some of her most creative ideas came after meditation.
3. She accepts aging and embraces it: A study in 2009 showed that there are benefits to aging. As we get older our mind focuses more on the positive memories instead of the negative things that are happening in life. This in turn makes up happier in life.
4. No matter what life threw at her, she always came out on top: Oprah had many challenges and setbacks in her life and career but she always came out on top with a positive attitude. In 2013, during a commencement speech at Harvard University, she said that she wasn’t going to let her professional failures define her and that they shouldn’t either.
5. She is grateful for everything that she has: One of the most important things that we can do in life is to be grateful for what we have instead of mulling over the things that we don’t have.