There is a lot that can go wrong in this world, but there are also so many things that are right. Here are nine ways that you can find your bliss no matter what is going on in the world around us.
1. Buy your happiness. No…seriously. Buy a ticket for a cruise around the Caribbean, or a vacation package in Hawaii. Buy yourself a day to relax at the spa, or even buy a new gadget you have been wanting. It’s okay to splurge every now and then.
2. Grow up. Studies have shown that happiness with life peaks as you get older, so don’t be too afraid of your age. Women hit a happiness slump around the age of 40 but it comes right back around 50. Men on average don’t hit their slump until they are around 52.
3. Don’t always be focused on trying to improve upon yourself. Instead, at times, shift the focus to how great you already are.
4. Take something negative and find the positive. Let’s say you have been fired or laid off. Look at it as an opportunity to embark on a new and exciting career. Negative experiences help us to learn and to grow and become stronger.
5. Take 21 minutes out of your year to dissect your marital spats. Studies showed that couples who spent seven minutes every four months looking at their fights from someone else’s perspective made their relationship stronger.
6. Watch a movie or television show that will make you cry. While it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun, it can actually help you to release bottled up emotions and appreciate what you have in life.
7. Take control of your daily commute and make it more fun. Blast the radio and sing along. Think about good things that are happening in your life. Don’t sit and stare at the car in front of you with your hand on the horn waiting for a tiny infraction to honk at.
8. Take credit when you do something good for others. It brings them happiness and you as well!
9. Smile. It can help lower your heart rate in times of stress and can spread to others and make their day a little better.; the same goes for laughing.