Before reaching into the medicine cabinet to cure what ails you, try looking to food instead! Here are seven common problems that can be fixed with food as opposed to medicine.
1. Being bloated is an awful feeling, and sometimes can be painful. There are a few foods you can eat here to help. First try melon, cucumber, or celery for a snack. They will help to flush out your system and get rid of excess sodium. You can also have some papaya as it has an enzyme that is great for your gastrointestinal tract.
2. If you are taking a ride on the emotional roller coaster, eat some breakfast. This means a meal within one to two hours after you wake up. Try to eat fruits and whole grains with plenty of fiber. Also eat some selenium which is found in Brazil nuts, turkey, tuna, and eggs. Selenium helps to ward off feelings of depression.
3. If you have breakouts, try eating onions or other sulfur rich veggies. These will help bring down inflammation.
4. If you find yourself getting jet lagged, don’t eat food on the plane. Stop eating hours before your trip and then eat breakfast at the time you normally would, no matter what you are doing on your trip. (If you are changing time zones and normally eat at 7am, eat at 7am in the time zone you are going to.)
5. If you are having problems sleeping at night, have a snack. We become tired after eating, so forget the no late-night snack rule. Eat some complex carbs half an hour to an hour before bedtime. Also try drinking Montmorency cherry juice as studies have shown this helps people sleep longer.
6. It’s that time of the month and you are cranky. You need some iron. Try eating some red meat or some peas, white beans, or sautéed spinach.
7. If you burn easily in the sun, eat carrots, endive, spinach, watermelon, or tomatoes. The carotenoids in these foods help soak up UV rays and destroy them. Make sure you still wear your sunscreen though!