In September of 2001, Jon Gabriel weighed in at 409 pounds. This was his heaviest weight. He wanted to lose weight and tried every diet that he possibly could. Gabriel would go on a diet, get the foods that he was supposed to eat and stayed away from the foods that he shouldn’t have eaten. He would follow the diet perfectly, lose weight, but then he would go on a major binge because he just couldn’t take it anymore. He missed the foods that he loved. After the binge all of his weight would come back. He was at a loss about what to do.
Then on September 11th, 2001, Jon Gabriel was almost sitting on United flight 93 which went on to crash. It scared him to know how close he had come to death and realized that time was fleeting. He vowed never to go on a diet again. He instead wanted to find another way to lose weight.
Gabriel has a background in biochemistry and spent at least 12 hours per day researching the workings of the body, enzymes, hormones and anything else in the body that causes weight gain. Here are the 7 things he came up with:
1. Instead of starving himself, he started nourishing himself. He realized that he was missing omega-3s and high quality proteins. If he wanted junk food he would eat it, but he would also make sure that he got the foods he needed. Eventually he didn’t crave junk food anymore.
2. He took probiotics and ate fermented and cultured foods to get his digestive system working properly again.
3. Instead of fighting with his sleep apnea which can cause weight gain, he got a CPAP machine and began sleeping through the night.
4. He used meditation to help reduce his stress. Stress releases the hormone cortisol which stores fat in the body.
5. He changed his life around a little to help with the stress. He moved to a more affordable home and started growing his own foods.
6. He let go of emotional issues that he had been having and stopped using his weight as a buffer for the outside world.
7. Finally Gabriel went through a detox. He learned about toxins and how to rid the body of them.
In all Jon lost 220 pounds since he started in 2001 and is now a coach and mentor for others who would like to do the same.