Do you know if you are in a healthy relationship or not? Do you know what the difference between a healthy relationship and a potentially harmful one is? Here are the different aspects of a healthy relationship:
1. Mutual respect between partners: You should be into each other for who you both are. Don’t pretend to be someone else or like something that you don’t just to try and impress the other person. This does not set the tone for a truthful relationship.
2. Trust: This is one of the most important aspects of a healthy relationship. If you speak with another man, does your boyfriend freak out? If so there could be issues down the road. You need to have trust or else one partner or the other will always be accusing the other of cheating. A little jealousy is normal, it shows that they feel they have something to lose, but if it gets to the point where they are freaking out over nothing, you may have a problem.
3. Honesty: This should go without saying. Always be open and honest with your partner even if you think they are not going to like what you have to say. The moment you start to lie the relationship becomes unhealthy.
4. Support: When you come home from a bad day at work you are going to want someone there to support you right? If you are about to make a huge life decision you will want the support of your partner. You want that shoulder to cry on when something goes wrong or that person to be there to cheer you on when doing something that could change your life.
5. Equality: If one partner is always giving and the other is always taking the relationship could sour easily. The relationship needs to be equal whether it is about chores, paying for dates, support, or even just general acts of kindness to one another.
6. Keeping identities separate: Sometimes when a couple is together for a long time they seem to turn into their partner. They develop into a single identity instead of two separate ones. Don’t lose your sense of self or who you are. What makes you unique is what will help to keep the relationship going.
7. Communication: You should always talk to your partner. Keeping an open line of communication will ensure that problems are worked out before they boil over into a fight.