It is the end of the year which means that New Year’s resolutions are in full swing. But instead of making resolutions that you know you will not keep such as that diet and exercise program you are intent on doing or being less of a gossip, try telling yourself things that you should avoid doing next year. Here are some things that writer Stacy Hein says that you should tell yourself not to do in the new year:
1. Do not focus on the negative. Think about the positive things in life no matter what the situation. If you get into a car accident don’t think about the money you will have to spend to fix the car. Think about the fact that you are alive. If you cheat on your diet don’t think about the calories that you have just consumed. Think about the opportunity you have to change it and do better the next day. Being positive is contagious.
2. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Yes, we always want to do our very best, but we cannot expect ourselves to be perfect. We are very often our own worst judge and this leads to unrealistic expectations of what we can and cannot do.
3. Don’t forget that you need to have fun. Even if it is just one day a week where you completely let go of everything and just have a good time you will be relieving a lot of your stress. Having fun helps us to focus and readjust.
4. Do not make unrealistic goals and demands of yourself. This is just going to drag you don’t if you cannot accomplish them. Work on small goals that you know you can achieve with a little hard work. If you are looking to lose weight, don’t set a high goal. Set something small such as 2 pounds the first week, and 1 pound every week after that. You will be happy that you are accomplishing these goals no matter how small they may seem. If you try to set your sights too high you will end up discouraged.
5. Do not treat yourself worse than you would treat others. If you love and respect other people, do the same for yourself. You deserve to be treated just as you would treat another person.