It seems like everyone these days has been affected by cancer in some way. The World Health Organization says that it is become a pandemic as it is the cause for 1 out of every 8 deaths worldwide. In 2012 roughly 14 million people were diagnosed with cancer and that number is expected to jump to 22 million by 2032. Three of the most common cancers are colon, lung, and [email protected] My own family was struck with three different types of cancer within a few years of each other; thyroid, melanoma, and 2 deaths from pancreatic cancer. It is a scary disease that is growing in numbers by the minute.
Worldwide the cancers that cause the most deaths are stomach, liver, and lung cancers. In Asia and Africa cervical cancer is one of their most common types and one of the leading causes of death in women. There are many different factors that are contributing to the rise of this horrible disease such as an increased number of people smoking, sedentary lifestyles that lead to obesity, poor diet, and lack of exercise. This coupled with environmental hazards and chemicals that we come into contact with every day are increasing the number of people diagnosed with cancer. Here are a few ways that you can help to lower your risk of getting cancer:
1. Get regular physical activity
2. Be thin but make sure that you are not underweight
3. Don’t smoke. Tobacco and cigarettes are the leading cause of lung cancer
4. Avoid overexposure to the sun. You need your vitamin D, but avoid the UV rays when possible
5. Get vaccinated. Many cancers start as diseases that can be vaccinated against