As you are getting ready for work, you are mentally preparing yourself to have a productive day. But then you actually get to work and distractions abound. Here are five common distractions and how to deal with them effectively so that you can get your work done!
1. Hunger – Even if you aren’t hungry, it seems like all you want to do at work is snack. This is because while you are snacking it brings a little bit of distraction from what you are supposed to be focusing on. You may be stress eating, so try snacking on foods such as almonds, cantaloupe, or blueberries which help to get rid of stress.
2. Friends – Texting and IM have created a huge distraction for people, especially those in an office setting. Remember than when the phone ringtone goes off, you don’t have to immediately respond, as much as you may want to. Leave the phone to the side until you are on a break and then respond.
3. Relationship problems – They always say leave your home life at home when you come to work. Sometimes that is really hard to do, especially if you are having problems in a relationship that you would rather be at home fixing instead of being in the office. Take some time during lunch to vent to a co-worker or to call a friend or your partner and vent or else you will be distracted all day.
4. Vacation – When vacation is looming, the mind seems to jump ahead and go early. When you don’t have a vacation planned, you can’t help but dream about it. Take some time off. You get paid vacation days for a reason. Use them. You need some time away to clear your head and get focused again.
5. Unhappy times – If you are constantly sitting and thinking about what you are doing with your life and what you need to do to change and be happy, you may not be in the right place. Do some research and talk to others to get a sense of what would make you the happiest and then go for it. When you don’t spend all of your time wishing you were somewhere else, you will be amazed at how productive you can be!