Sleep is one of the most important things that you need to do for yourself. It helps to rejuvenate your body and mind for another day. Unfortunately hectic schedules, sleep problems, and the changing of the seasons can mess with your sleeping patterns. When the days grow shorter your natural circadian rhythm becomes messed up and you may feel tired during the day. Another sleep problem that affects many is sleep apnea. Dr. Oz has some tricks that you can do to help get the restful shut eye that you need every night to feel great in the morning.
1. Sleep apnea disturbs your sleep because you stop breathing for a short period. This jolts your mind out of restful sleep. Studies have shown that people who use a Mediterranean diet have up to 18 less episodes per hour during REM sleep. This diet includes foods such as whole grains, veggies, fish, and fruits. It also includes 30 minutes of walking every single day for six months. Losing weight will help as that is one of the main causes of sleep apnea.
2. Next time you are at the store pick up a lavender scented diffuser. Lavender is known for its calming properties. Take a sniff of some lavender oil before bed. Studies have shown that women who smell the lavender before they go to sleep got 22% more restful sleep.
3. Look at the prescription medication that you are taking. Many of them can throw off your sleep schedule as they have caffeine or other stimulants in them. Many painkillers have stimulants so you have to know when to take them if you want a good night’s sleep.
4. Sleeping on your side has been shown to give you the most restful sleep. Those who sleep on their backs often experience sleep apnea or snoring while they are asleep due to the fat pushing down on their airway. People who sleep on their stomachs keep switching the position of their head and limbs during the night and therefore do not get a very restful sleep.
5. Exercise is key to getting a better night’s sleep. Even though people who work out get the same number of hours of sleep on average they reported that they woke up refreshed in the morning more often than the others.
6. Try eating foods such as rice, turkey, and potatoes for supper. Any food that is high in the glycemic index will help you to fall asleep faster thanks to the amino acids and tryptophan.