More and more research is revealing the dangers of overindulgence with sugar, these days. There are substitutes to sugar that are good for you as opposed to using artificial sweeteners which have ingredients like aspartame which can be hazardous to your health. Here are five great sugar alternatives.
1. Molasses – This is what is left after sugar has been processed when refining cane sugar into white sugar. It is the most nutrient-rich of all the sweeteners. It contains iron, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin B6 and potassium.
2. Dates – These are naturally sweet. They are great in desserts such as pies and cookies. They contain Vitamin B6, potassium, calcium, and Vitamin A as well.
3. Honey – Adding honey to drinks like tea instead of sugar is a delicious alternative. Honey is great for many reasons including its antibacterial properties. It is a great source of antioxidants. The darker the honey, the higher the antioxidant value. It is best when it is raw or unprocessed.
4. Maple Syrup – There is a big difference between maple syrup and pancake syrup. Maple syrup is natural and has no added sugar. Pancake syrup is manufactured and has a lot of sugar. Maple syrup is produced by boiling the naturally sweet sap from maple trees. It contains small amounts of zinc and calcium and riboflavin as well. It can be added to pancakes and waffles or even yogurt!
5. Stevia – This plant is a natural sweetener that can be grown at home. It is calorie free and 100 times sweeter than sugar. It can be used in many different things such as coffee, tea, and desserts. Be careful of how much you use since it is so much sweeter than normal sugar.