We can all get a little sad from time to time. Sometimes it is just because we have had a bad day, or saw something sad in the news. Other times it can turn out to be full blown depression due to a string of events in life. If you are sad, try these tricks to become joyful again so that you don’t end up depressed. Sadness usually is short lived; depression can affect your heath and your daily life and is long lived.
1. Get up and get moving. A good 30 minutes or more of exercise can help to get your endorphins flowing, the blood pumping, and will help you burn calories all while getting yourself into a better mood.
2. Sleep, sleep, and more sleep. Studies have shown that most adults don’t get nearly enough sleep at night. This can interrupt your body’s metabolism, can make you feel run down, and can turn normal sadness into depression.
3. Find someone to vent to. Don’t keep your emotions bottled up or the emotions can build and make you feel worse than you already do. Talking to a friend or mental health professional and releasing your emotions can help you get into a better mood. If you’re going to pick a friend or relative, pick someone to talk to who is not judgmental and someone who doesn’t feel like they have the best advice in the world. You want someone who will just listen and let you pour it all out.
4. Do not, under any circumstances, go shopping. People that engage in retail therapy while they are sad end up buying far more than they should and regret it later.
5. If the sadness doesn’t seem to go away or gets progressively worse, seek out help from a professional. They will be able to listen effectively and will also be able to give you advice on what to do and exercises that you can do in order to get yourself out of your funk.
6. Finally, what you may need to do is have a good cry. This will help you to release the emotions and will also help you to accept the fact that sometimes you are going to be sad, but you can’t let it get the best of you.