It’s June! Say hello to warm weather, sunny skies, and these five June super-foods that you shouldn’t miss out on during their peak!
1. Cherries – Cherries are low calorie, delicious, and have so many different possibilities. They are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants so they are a great healthy snack and can also be added to many different meals to add some sweetness. They promote sleep, help the heart, and help recovery after a hard workout.
2. Cucumbers – This delicious super-food is easy to prepare and is a great snack for a hot summer day. Simply wash, cut, and eat! Made up of 96% water, the cucumber will also help you to stay hydrated. They also have Vitamins C, A, and K, few calories, potassium, and magnesium. Add them to your salad, or even make some cucumber water!
3. Okra – While okra may not be the most popular of side dishes, it does have its health benefits. It is a great source of fiber, Vitamin B6, A, C, and K and also has nutrients like magnesium and calcium. The best way to eat it is in a soup or with some corn, especially if you are not used to eating it. Skip the fried okra recipes.
4. Papaya – This delicious fruit can come packed with 70% of your daily Vitamin A requirement and three times your Vitamin C requirement. They can be found all year round, but the peak growing season is the beginning of summer. They offer immune system benefits and are a sweet treat at any time of the day.
5. Plums – The plum is sweet and packed with vitamins A,C, K and fiber. It has brain and heart perks as well as tasting fantastic. This fruit is a relative of cherries and peaches and is a great compliment with yogurt in the morning or as a snack to grab on the go!