By Staff Blogger
How often have you found that you are hungry shortly after you have eaten? Many people find that even though they have already eaten a healthy, adequately portioned meal, they are still hungry. This is because they aren’t eating the right foods that will help to fill them up. Here are five filling foods that will help to reduce hunger through the day.
1. Lentils – Lentils pack a punch with 63% of your daily value of fiber in just one cooked cup. They are great if you are vegan or vegetarian since you aren’t getting protein from your meat. They they contain 38% of your daily protein value as well. The lentils can help you stay satisfied for hours and help you lose weight by reducing your snacking.
2. Split Peas – Much like lentils, split peas have a ton of fiber in them. They give you 63% of your daily fiber intake which equals 16 grams. You can have split pea soup or you can try making split pea hummus.
3. Beans – Beans will fill you up because they are also packed with fiber. They have a great amount of protein in them as well which helps you to stay fuller, longer and can also help with a great post-workout meal. There are so many things that you can do with beans such as putting them in soups, making hummus, adding them to salads, or using them as fillers in Mexican dishes such as enchiladas and burritos.
4. Broccoli – This green vegetable packs an amazing fiber punch. One cup of broccoli has 8 grams of fiber which is about a third of your daily needs. Broccoli is also a great detoxifier. You can add broccoli to soup, pizza, and salad. Steam it as a side dish or add it to some rice!
5. Raspberries and Blackberries – These sweet treats are loaded with fiber at 8 grams per cup, again about a third of your daily value. Keep some bags of frozen berries in the freezer and use them to make a breakfast smoothie on your way out, you will remain satisfied much longer than if you grab a donut!