Are you a respectful person? Do you show others the respect that you think should be shown to you as well? What you may not realize is that even if you respect others you may be disrespecting yourself every single day. Here are five ways that you are showing that you do not respect yourself like you should:
1. The only time that you are happy with life is when everything is going your way. The minute that something does not you are automatically an unhappy person. This may seem like a normal way to react to a stressful situation but in reality you need to shake it off and laugh about life when it gets you down. Let’s say you are at an airport and you have just missed your flight. Instead of being angry think about it as an adventure and a story to tell later on down the road. Book another flight and enjoy the extra free time in the airport.
2. Little white lies are a part of your everyday life. Even if they are the most meaningless little fibs in the world, they are still lies. People who do this are often seeking approval from others because they are not giving themselves the approval and acceptance that they should be.
3. If you hear that your best friend is getting married, how do you feel about that? Are you extremely happy for her that she has found someone to be with for the rest of her life or are you teeming with jealousy? Do you constantly loathe other people when something good happens to them? If you hate it when other people are happy and you aren’t at that moment you are a self-judging person and are only hurting yourself by wishing ill on someone else’s life.
4. You don’t take care of yourself and don’t really seem to care that you are making unhealthy choices. At this point you are a mothering type of person and are taking care of others before you take care of yourself. You are putting yourself down in a way by doing this because you are subconsciously telling yourself that you aren’t worth a healthy lifestyle.
5. You can identify with the list above and are chastising yourself for it. Before focusing all of your energy on respecting others try getting a little self-respect going first.