Whenever you go on a diet, one of the main things to think about is your metabolism. It is one of the key ingredients to keeping your body running smoothly. Your metabolism is what turns your food into energy for your body through the day. It directly affects your ability to lose weight and also affects how you gain weight.
Some people are born with a great metabolism and they don’t have to do a thing to stay thin. Others have a slow metabolism which makes them gain weight. As you age, your metabolism slows down. After 20 years of age it can decline greatly every decade. There are some foods that you can eat to help kick your metabolism into gear.
1. Protein – Protein can help you build muscle mass and burn fat. It is harder to digest than other foods and requires more energy to break down. Major protein-infused foods are fish, bison, beef, chicken, and eggs.
2. Fiber – Fiber is non-digestible. It can take a lot of energy to move it through your body, which boosts your metabolism. Whole grains like quinoa, berries, and leafy greens all have a great amount of fiber.
3. Thermogenic Foods – Thermogenic food examples are hot peppers, caffeine, and some teas like green and white tea. They get your blood pumping and give your metabolism a kick.
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a spicy staple that is great for breakfast and is great on chicken too! It helps the sugar in your blood get into blood cells and move through the body to make energy. Keep the intake low however because it has been shown that large amounts of cinnamon can be toxic.
5. Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has been said to help remove fat that is being stored in fat cells through the body. The oil bypasses the intestines and goes straight to the liver so it is processed as a carb, not a fat.