With the cost of healthcare and medication on the rise and the many side effects of drugs, people are always looking for a way to cure what ails them without the drugs. Here are some home remedies that even doctors approve of and swear by.
1. Honey: Honey is a surefire cure for a sore throat or a cough and is also great for minor cuts and burns. A Dutch study recently found a protein that is in honey called defensin-1 that is a great antibacterial protein. Add the honey to tea for a sore or scratchy throat. For cuts and burns just slather a little bit of honey right on the wound and put a piece of gauze or a bandage over it. Change the dressing daily. If there is swelling or redness, see a doctor.
2. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is used for hives, eczema, and sunburns. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve dry skin and also help to soothe itch. If you are using regular oatmeal, put it through a food processor and grind it down to a powder. Pour the cup of ground oats into a bath and soak for 15 minutes.
3. Salt: Salt is used for sinus congestion and sore throats. You can gargle warm salt water for a sore throat and for sinus problems make a warm salt water mixture and put it in a clean squeeze bottle or a neti pot. Lean over a sink and squeeze the water into your nose.
4. Meat Tenderizer: This can be used for bee-stings and nonpoisonous spider bites. It contain papain which removes the toxins from bug bites. Mix a small amount with water to make a paste and then put it on the bite. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
5. Peppermint Tea: This tea is used for a stomach ache or indigestion. The peppermint oil that is found in the leaves can help to calm down your digestive tract. It allows gas from indigestion to pass easily. If you have heartburn or acid reflux peppermint tea should be avoided as it can make the problem worse.