By Staff Blogger
It is summer time which means it is time to break out the grill! Most people tend to the typical stuff and grill hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken. Here are some healthy surprises that you can put on the grill for some great summer cookout meals.
1. When you think of lettuce, you think of a cold salad. But if you sprinkle some olive oil on it, a little salt and pepper or vinegar, and throw it on the grill until it is slightly charred it makes a great side dish with some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.
2. Did you know that you can grill watermelon? Cut it into slices, sprinkle a small amount of salt on if you wish, and grill. It intensifies the sweetness of the watermelon and gives it a smoky hint of flavor.
3. Pizza can be great when it is grilled. Take some pizza dough, make sure the grill is really hot or the dough will stick, and roll it out with a rolling pin. Place it on the grill until it comes off easily and then add your favorite toppings to the grilled side and put it back on the grill to cook the other side.
4. Grill up some mango for a sweet addition to your burger.
5. Portobello mushrooms are great on the grill and taste great in a salad or on your burger. They contain some minerals that are good for you that are hard to find in other foods such as selenium.
6. If you are making kabobs, throw some grapes on the skewers. They have no fat or cholesterol and have vitamins C and K.
7. Grilling pineapple is something that goes great with grilled teriyaki chicken kabobs.
8. Grilled asparagus is a perfect pairing with chicken and steak.
9. Put some strawberries on a skewer, coat them with cider vinegar and a little salt, and you have a new summer treat.
10. Peaches are a July superfood, so why not throw those on the grill too? They are packed with vitamins and minerals.