Almost half of all marriages end in divorce. Many of those marriages ended because a spouse was unfaithful to the other. Cheating can be devastating to the person who is cheated on. Don’t let your marriage fall victim to an affair.
According to psychologist and television personality Dr. Phil, “There are no guarantees that you or your spouse will never cheat, but you can do your best to inoculate yourself against infidelity by plugging into your marriage”.
The following are the ways to “affair proof” your marriage:
1. Relationships are not a one-sided thing. You both must put into the relationship what you want to get out of it. Give your marriage 100% and you will be surprised at the things that you get in return.
2. If your marriage falls into a rut do what you can to spice things up. Be spontaneous and book a surprise romantic weekend getaway. Recreate your first date to get you back into the mindset of when everything was fresh and new. Try something new in the bedroom. Whatever it is that you do, make sure that you get out of the boring rut that you are in and add some passion back into the marriage.
3. Just because you don’t need to impress anyone to get a date anymore doesn’t mean that you should let yourself go. Continue to take care of yourself by exercising and eating right so that you can always look as good as when you and your spouse first met. This shows that you care about yourself and you care about being the best that you can be for your partner.
4. When you have a problem in your relationship talk about it instead of ignoring it or walking away. The silent treatment is one of the worst things that you can do during an argument. Communication is key to a good relationship.
5. Stop trying to live a fantasy life and be happy with the relationship that you have. Do not compare yourself to the romance novel wife or to someone acting in a movie. Those are fantasies. The reality is that marriages are hard work but if you focus on being happy with what you have and stop comparing your relationship to unrealistic things you will be much better off in the long run.
6. Even when things are going really well in your marriage, work on it. Think every day about little things that you could do that could make your spouse even happier. Even if it is something like making his favorite dinner or getting him a little gift just because.