By: Krystle Crossman
Magnesium is a mineral that you hear about but do you know just how important it is to your body? You may be experiencing signs and symptoms of a magnesium deficiency but not realize it. Here are some things that can happen to you if you are lacking magnesium in your body:
1. Have you ever had a sudden urge to eat an entire box of chocolates? Your body may be telling you something. Dark chocolate contains a lot of magnesium, around 24% of your daily requirement in fact. So when your body is low you begin craving food that has that magnesium in it.
2. Muscle cramps and spasms can be extremely painful and can come up at the worst times. But a daily dose of magnesium could help to alleviate this problem. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer and when you are low on it your muscles contract more than they normally would which ends up causing extreme tightness.
3. Since magnesium is so important to your muscles you must take into consideration the most important muscle of all…your heart. Your heart needs magnesium to beat properly. If you are having an arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat you may need some magnesium. It is best to go to the doctor if this happens.
4. Those who suffer from insomnia are often lacking in magnesium. Magnesium is very important to your REM cycle and the quality of sleep that you get.
5. High blood pressure is a common symptom of magnesium deficiencies. It helps your veins and arteries to contract and relax properly so if you are not getting enough of it your blood pressure could soar no matter how healthy of a diet you are on.
6. Another organ that is very dependent on your magnesium level is the intestine. Magnesium helps it to contract normally. When you are lacking in magnesium your intestines may not contract correctly and cause you to become constipated.
7. Again, the relaxation factor of magnesium comes into play when dealing with mental health. Some people who aren’t getting enough per day can suffer from anxiety. If you feel that you are becoming overly anxious try taking a 200mg magnesium supplement to see if it calms you down.