Marriages can be hard work, but they are worth it in the end as long as you treat each other with respect. One woman, Grace Flowers, writing for MindBodyGreen,com shared some ways that she is trying to make her marriage great.
1. When giving a critique of something your spouse does, be gentle. Don’t make them feel like they have done something wrong; just try to show ways things could be improved on an already great idea.
2. Don’t tell white lies. They end up as bigger lies and can lead to big fights.
3. Offer to help your spouse with whatever they need help with. Whether it’s housework or something to do with work, it is always nice to help someone.
4. Make eye contact. You can get a huge connection from looking someone deep in their eyes and you also show respect.
5. Live every single moment as if it were your last. You never know what could happen in life so you want to make every moment count.
6. Continue to pay attention to your partner just like you did when you first got together. It will keep things feeling new all the time.
7. Encourage each other to do what makes the other person happy.
8. Know who you are. If you don’t take care of yourself, it is harder to take care of others.
9. Start every encounter with a smile. This will start any conversation on a positive note.
10. When you are alone in the house, spend the time together.
11. Take adventures together. Take a spontaneous fun trip to add some interest!
12. Do not talk about your secrets or s*x life with others. This could lead to discussions between other people and could lead to fights between you and your partner.
13. When you say you are sorry for something, really mean it.
14. Don’t disappear. Don’t ignore your partner. Don’t take off with friends all the time. Spend time with them.
15. Don’t tease your partner. A little good-natured ribbing may seem just that but it could be hurting your partner.