Going to the gym is the way that many stay fit and get into shape. However there are a lot of people that go to the gym but still don’t see the results that they want to see. Here are a few reasons why the things that you do may be wasting your time:
1. You are not educated enough on your workout routine: Make a plan before you go into the gym. Figure out what you want to get out of your workout and do some research based on that. If you want to lose weight, plan on doing more cardio than weight lifting. If you are looking to tone and define your muscles, think about a lifting routine to maximize your calorie burn. Learn about new exercises and machines from the trainers at the gym so that you can find the ones that work best for you.
2. You spend too much time waiting for a certain machine: If someone is using the machine that you were planning on using next, either find a different machine or change up your routine a bit so that you will keep moving while you are waiting. Don’t take a break because someone is on that one machine.
3. Slow and steady does not win the race: You want to mix it up a bit with your routine. Instead of running on the treadmill at one pace for half an hour, reduce the time that you are running but do different speeds and inclines while you are working out. Changing the intensity will keep your heart rate up. While you are lifting weights, change up the weight between reps. Do 10 reps at your normal weight, then 10 at something a little heavier, and then another 10 at the normal weight again.
4. Don’t focus on just one spot on your body: Your body decides where to burn the fat from, so it is pointless to try and target one area of your body to see definition. If you want clearly defined abs you need to get rid of the body fat first, so go for an all-over workout instead of just focusing on one muscle group.
5. You are socializing too much: It is good to have a gym buddy, but when you talk too much, you are losing focus on your routine and probably slipping in intensity. Talk to them when you are done or when you are on a water break.