When you want something you need to be able to ask for it. This is the reason that so many people have trouble being successful. They are too afraid to ask for what they want and afraid to make their intentions known. Success.com lists some of the ways that you can be successful.
1. Tell yourself that you have nothing to be afraid of. If you sit and think about how afraid you are you will let the fear take over. Take some time to think about what it is that you want and then figure out the best way to ask for it. Think of how you will be the most comfortable while asking for what you want so that you don’t have to be so fearful.
2. Have some confidence that you will win them over. If you are stuck thinking that they are going to reject you, do not go into that meeting. You need to sell yourself as deserving of that which you are going for before you sell them. If you go into the meeting with no confidence they will be able to sense that and will feel that you don’t really want this as badly as you do. Be confident, know that you can do it, and know that you will be able to sell them on the idea that you are bringing to the table.
3. Get organized. You need to make sure that you have everything in order so as not to confuse both yourself and those that you are meeting with. If your ideas and objectives are all over the place it will be harder to understand what it is that you want.
4. Speak from your heart. Have passion for that which you are talking about. The other person will want to see that you are determined and passionate about your request. Make eye contact with the other person and speak to them directly. They will see that you are serious and will take you more seriously.
5. Get ready for resistance. You are not always going to have an easy sell. There are going to be times when you have to really sell them on the idea. Be prepared beforehand and make sure that you can handle whatever they may throw at you.
6. Be thankful. Whether you get the result that you want or not, make sure that you thank them for their time. If you walk out angry they will be less likely to listen to any other requests that you may have. Shake their hand, thank them for their time, and walk out with a smile.