We all get angry from time to time. It is a normal reaction and an everyday part of life. But how does anger go from being a small emotion that you feel every now and then to something destructive that consumes your every waking moment? That is something that you have control over. You can let the anger take over and ruin your life and many of your relationships or you can harness it and avoid a hostile takeover.
1. If you are angry at someone, you have not forgiven them for whatever it was that they did to anger you. When you have forgiven someone you are able to speak with them or look at them without the rage building up inside of you. Learn to forgive as that building anger will only hurt you in the end.
2. You can either express or suppress your anger. If you suppress it, you may end up causing more damage to yourself or make yourself sick. If you express it you may cause damage to whoever is in your path but there is something healthy about releasing that emotion too, so go with expressing yourself. Before you do this however take a moment to calm yourself. Breathe deeply, really think about what you are going to say or do and go with the least harmful option.
3. Consider going to therapy. It is good to get those emotions out to someone who will listen with an unbiased ear.
4. When you are in an argument with someone, don’t fight back. Listen to them. Really hear the words that they have to say instead of becoming defensive or yelling and screaming. Don’t let your anger spin out of control and instead calmly communicate with them about how you are feeling.
5. Life is short. There is no time to be sitting around and sulking about something that may not be that big of a deal in the first place. If it is something that you are truly angry about and can’t let go of it, definitely seek another avenue to vent your rage such as a kickboxing class. Let go of your anger and live your life as happily as you can.