By: Serena Crawford
Introverts and extroverts are very different. They like to do different things, be with different people, and have different hobbies. But what do you do when you are in a relationship with someone who is an introvert and you are extrovert? How do you get along when your personalities are so different? Writer Kaia Roman offers some insight on how to make this kind of relationship work:
1. Make sure that you have a space in your home that is just for you and one that is just for your partner. Have a room that is a library or a quiet space for the introvert and a room such as a game room for the extrovert. This will give each person their own space to be who they are without disturbing their partner.
2. Make sure that you take time to do the things that you want even if it means that you aren’t spending time with each other. The extrovert is going to want to go out and be around people constantly so if you keep them in the house doing only what you want to do they will be out of their comfort zone and will eventually become bored and even resentful. The introvert would rather be inside doing quiet activities away from large crowds. They are not going to want to go out to a club where there is a lot of noise and a lot of socialization. You can find activities that the two of you are comfortable with so that you can do things together but make sure that you spend your time together.
3. Find things that you have in common but don’t dismiss the differences. You can laugh about the things that you don’t have in common and have discussions about the things that you do. It will keep things interesting and will not push you away from each other.
4. Don’t take it personally if your partner isn’t interested in something that you are. They are wired differently and can’t be forced to like something that is out of their comfort zone. If they do something that you find insulting take a step back and think about why they may be doing it and if you are reading too much into it.
5. Make your plans ahead of time so that there are no surprises when it comes time to go out and do something. Know what is in the works beforehand so each party has a chance to prepare themselves for what lies ahead. This is also a good time to discuss the limits of what happens so that no one is made to be uncomfortable.