Fall is here. Leaves are changing and falling to the ground, the air is crisp and cool. There is one bad thing about this amazing season however…the sun is rising later and setting much earlier. With the weather getting cooler and darkness taking over a good portion of the day, how do we remain happy and positive? Here are five great ways:
1. Go outside and get some fresh air, or open a window in your house. When you keep your house sealed off because you don’t like being cold you create a stale and stuffy environment in the house. Fresh air is great for the mind, body, and soul. Just put on a few more layers and enjoy the cool breeze as it comes in.
2. Grow a plant. Even though summer is over you can still grow plants such as a small herb garden or other flowers that will survive without sunlight. Make a small windowsill planter and watch as the plant grows inside your house and take your mind off of the dying leaves outside.
3. Make sure that you have healthy vitamin levels. You aren’t going to be getting as much vitamin D if you stay indoors and away from the sun, so make sure that you eat foods with Vitamin D in them. Also watch your vitamin B levels, especially B12. This is where your energy comes from and if you don’t have sufficient amounts in your body you will become lethargic.
4. Eat foods that feed the brain and put you in a better mood. Eat foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals such as veggies, eggs, and lean meats. All of the vitamins and protein will help you to feel better even if you are stuck indoors.
5. Volunteer somewhere. There are local charities and soup kitchens everywhere that need help, so why not make the most of your indoor time and help people while you are at it? It will help to put you in a much better mood knowing that you are making a difference in someone’s life.