There are times when you go through a nasty break-up and yet you still can’t stop thinking about your ex. You wish for nothing more than to be back with them and to try and make things work again. Even though your friends may tell you that it doesn’t stand a chance of lasting and that it will end in more heartache, it is actually common for a second go at a relationship to work! If this is the case for you, here are some ways that you can try to make that happen!
1. You need to be really honest with yourself. Take a look at the real reason that you want to get back together. Is it just because you are lonely? If so, that is not a good enough reason. But if you remember all of the positive things about the relationship and truly feel that you are in love with them, it may be worth a try. Just make sure that you are honest about your reasoning.
2. Try being friends again first. There are a lot of emotions post-break-up and you want to make sure that you don’t jump back into a relationship where you are starting with feelings of regret and resentment.
3. Obviously there is a reason that the two of you broke up. Make sure that when you have a serious talk with your ex about getting back together that you address those issues and try to come up with a compromise to work them out. If you can’t do this before the relationship even starts, it is very likely that you will break up again for the same reasons.
4. Take it slow. Don’t get right back into the habit of saying “I love you” or moving back in together. Clear the slate and start from the very beginning. This may be hard to do since you are comfortable together, but it is necessary if you want to make it last.
5. While you may really want the second time around to work out, it still may not. There is no shame in ending the relationship for a second time, but you need to be willing to admit that it just isn’t working and that you need to move on.