Belly fat can be unsightly and seemingly impossible to get rid of. No matter what kind of exercises you try it always seems that you have that little bit of pudge around your midsection. Here are some great tips on how to burn the fat away without doing anything drastic:
1. Make sure that you are getting your fiber in. Fiber helps you to stay fuller longer which means that you eat less throughout the day. It also helps to regulate your digestive system. Some great ways to get fiber in your diet are to eat vegetables such as broccoli and kale. You can also take flaxseed and add just a small amount to your cereal or oatmeal in the morning. Do not increase your fiber intake tremendously all at once. This could cause a stomachache. Start slow and make sure that you are drinking a lot of water.
2. Do exercises that will strengthen your core muscles such as front planks, glute bridges, half-kneel lifts, and the bird dog. These can all help strengthen and tighten your abs.
3. Try standing up and sitting up straight at all times. When you are sitting perfectly upright or standing straight you are working your core muscles. You will be sucking in the ab muscles and it can give them a great workout.
4. Make sure that your diet has a lot of protein in it. This helps you to build muscle, stay full, and burn fat. This is true of soluble fibers as well. Researchers at Wake Forest conducted a study that showed that if people increased their soluble fiber intake by 10 grams per day they could lose 4% of the fat in their abdomen within a few years. Ten grams is not that much either. It equals around a serving of oatmeal, half a cup of peas, or two apples.
5. You may think that to get flat abs the best exercise would be doing crunches and sit ups however this is incorrect. Cardio is the way to go. Doing cardio helps you to burn fat all over and also helps with heart health at the same time.