Being stressed is a part of everyday life. We all have some level of stress but not everyone knows how to control it or get rid of it. Stress is tension that we have either mentally or physically. The medical definition of it is “a perception of a real or imagined threat to your body or your ego.”
When you become stressed, cortisol, stress hormones, and adrenaline rush through your body. This raises your heart rate, makes you sweat, increases your blood pressure, causes lack of sleep, increases fat storage, and basically makes you feel run down.
There are some simple ways to deal with stress that not everyone may think of at first. Here are five great ways to melt the stress away and take control of your body and mind again.
1. Get moving. Exercise is a great stress reliever. It takes your mind off of whatever you are stressed about as well as burns fat and calories. Any kind of exercise is good: running, biking, hiking, swimming. Yoga is especially great because you have to focus on your breathing.
2. Breathe! Take a deep breath in and another deep breath out. Relax. Your Vagus nerve, which is the nerve that helps you to relax, is located in your diaphragm. If you are taking short and erratic breaths you will not activate the nerve. Long deep breaths are the way to go.
3. Take a bubble bath. Many people use this stress relief technique after a long day. Add two cups of Epsom salt, a half-cup of baking soda, and 10 drops of lavender oil to your tub. This is guaranteed to relax you!
4. Get some sleep. Lack of sleep makes stress that much harder to deal with so make sure that you are trying to get a full night’s rest. Get eight hours a day and if you can’t get it all in at night, take a nap.
5. Think differently. You are thinking about what is stressing you out, so focus your thoughts on happier things like the weekend or a vacation, or whatever brings you joy.