By: Krystle Crossman
Your personal hygiene is a part of everyday life. Read on however because there are some things about your daily routine that may be more harmful than healthy.
1. When you buy hand soap, do you always make sure to get antibacterial? Research from the FDA shows that there is a chemical called triclosan in antibacterial hand soap that can actually mess with your hormones. In fact regular soap is just as effective in killing germs.
2. When you wash your clothes in the washing machine you are actually coating them with small traces of fecal matter. Every time that you wash a load of underwear you are releasing the fecal matter particles that are stuck in the fabric. As a result you get fecal matter on your other clothes. There is really not much that can be done about this one.
3. All of the time that is spent over the kitchen sink washing dishes is also time spent with dozens of different types of bacteria including E.coli which grow in a sink full of dirty dishes.
4. As seen on the show Mythbusters, when you flush your toilet little fecal matter particles fly into the air. Your toothbrush should be kept a minimum of six feet from the toilet or should be hidden from the path, otherwise you’ll be brushing your teeth with a toothbrush full of feces.
5. Use paper towels instead of hand dryers. The key is that the towel will get your hands clean in a few seconds. Bacteria can grow quickly on someone’s hands if they are wet for a period of time.
6. You probably already think that your dental retainer is disgusting but did you know that if you don’t have it cleaned properly you could end up allowing a host of bacterial infections such MRSA into the store.
7. There is NO five or three second rule. It is zero seconds. Never eat food that has dropped on the floor.
8. Your belly button can be a host of almost 2,400 lovely germs so make sure you clean it out as often as you can!
9. You only need to shampoo your hair a few times a week. Shampooing every day can reduce the number of oils that are naturally produced on the scalp.
10. Rinsing your contacts with tap water before you put them in your eye or away for the day can lead to a build-up of a filmy bacteria.