Last year, actress Gabourey Sidibe made headlines when pictures of her appeared online after she had undergone a surgical weight loss procedure.
The 33-year-old NAACP Image Award winner lost almost 200 pounds after undergoing laproscopic bariatric surgery. On Wednesday (March 8th), People Magazine published an article, which covered the latest news about Sidibe. This is the first time she has opened up about getting surgery to lose a great deal of weight.
Sidibe was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and battled mental illness, as well as eating disorders prior to getting weight loss surgery. “I just didn’t want to worry,” Sidibe said, according to People.
“I truly didn’t want to worry about all the effects that go along with diabetes. I genuinely worry all the time about losing my toes,” she continued.
Sidibe told People that she tried to lose weight naturally for 10 years. However, in May of 2016, the “Precious” star went under the knife to solve her weight problem. Sidibe also talked to People about her upcoming memoir titled This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare.
Sidibe’s memoir is also exclusively excerpted in the latest issue of People. She talks extensively about her weight loss in This is Just My Face. A portion of the book’s excerpts read as follows:
“My surgeon said they’d cut my stomach in half. This would limit my hunger and capacity to eat. My brain chemistry would change and I’d want to eat healthier. I’ll take it! My lifelong relationship with food had to change. The surgery wasn’t the easy way out. I wasn’t cheating by getting it done. I wouldn’t have been able to lose as much as I’ve lose without it.”
This Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare is due to be released in May of 2017.