If you have seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, you may think that juicing is the way to go to lose a ton of weight. Before you run out and buy that shiny new juicer and hundreds of dollars in produce, do a little research about juicing first. Here are some things that you may want to consider.
1. There is no fiber left once you are done juicing the fruits and vegetables. Actually, there sis some fiber left even when juicing. Fiber is what helps you to stay satisfied through the day so that you aren’t eating all the time. It also increases your energy, helps lower cholesterol, and helps your digestive system.
2. Even though you digest fruits and veggies differently, you can mix them all together in one juice,contrary to popular belief that you can’t mix the two. Carrots and apples seem to be okay mixed with any other fruits and veggies. Some people may feel uneasy or have abdominal discomfort when they mix fruits and vegetables.
3. It is not true that you have to drink all of the juice that you have made that day or throw it out. You can freeze the juice that you have made even though you lose a little of the nutritional value of it. It is better freeze it than throw it away.
4. Even though you are drinking in a lot of vitamins and minerals through juicing you are not getting nearly enough of what your body needs every day such as protein. You still need to have other things to eat along with the juice. Thinking that you can survive on just juicing is not correct.
5. Supplements are not better than juicing, contrary to what many think. One of the good things about juicing is that you get more carotenes into your body through the juice than you normally would when taking supplements. This is because when the juicing breaks down the particles of the food the nutrients are let out as well.
6. If you have diabetes you don’t have to forgo juicing but you should stay away from juices that are mainly made with fruits as the sugar could be too much. If you are going to drink juice, drink no more than 8 ounces of vegetable juice per day.
7. People with recurrent kidney stones also don’t have to forgo juicing but should be careful about drinking a juice with veggies like spinach in them because they are high in calcium which can be very bad for kidney stones.