By: Krystle Crossman
Breakfast is by far the most important meal of the day. What better way to start things of than with some healthy greens? You are probably thinking that greens are not really a breakfast kind of food, but that is where you would be wrong. There is no rule book that tells you what you can and cannot have for breakfast, so why not start your day with something completely healthy and tasty?
Many breakfast staples such as pancakes, waffles, doughnuts, and pastries are filled with carbs, calories, and sugar. That is not necessarily the first thing that you want to put in your body in the morning, especially since it sets the tone for your metabolism through the day. Some of the major benefits of eating greens for breakfast are:
– Increase energy
– Improved focus and mental clarity
– Weight loss
– Reduced food cravings
Here are some ways to use greens in the morning:
1. Make a salad. Add some colorful veggies or fruits, and throw eggs on there for added protein which will help to fill you up.
2. Sauté kale in coconut oil for a tasty breakfast. Add little things such as hemp seeds, chia seeds, or even something like cranberries for an added kick.
3. Green smoothies are a popular breakfast item. You can mix kale, lettuce, spinach, and even greens like broccoli in with some fruits and almond milk to make a filling and nutritional breakfast. If you have some left over you can save it in the fridge to sip on later so that you don’t snack.
4. Finally, if you still can’t get past the idea of not having your staple breakfast items for breakfast, whip up some eggs with spinach and tomato in them. Spinach is an excellent green to start your day with and goes well in omelets