There is a trend that is becoming too much the norm in society right now. That trend is being a single mother. No father in the home means that the children grow up without a male figure to look up to. This can be extremely damaging to a child even if they seem like they are fine. Here are some statistics about children that grow up without a father in the picture.
1. One in five kids that grow up with their father being in prison will end up going to prison themselves.
2. Children that are born to single mothers tend to have more aggressive behavior than those children that were born into a marriage.
3. Children who have fathers often do much better in school, especially if the father is involved. Those who do not have fathers in the picture are twice as likely to drop out of high school and also more likely to have to repeat a grade.
4. Without a father who is involved in the child’s life they are more likely to turn to substance abuse. This is especially true for those children who had fathers that abused drugs or alcohol themselves.
5. Children that live with single mothers are four times more likely to live in poverty.
6. Family structure has a lot to do with the child’s behavior when they are a juvenile and if their father is not around they are more likely to commit a crime.
7. Children whose mothers date men other than their father are more likely to suffer abuse and neglect, often at the hands of their mother’s significant other.
8. The infant mortality rate is twice as high for those babies born to unmarried mothers.
9. Teen girls without a father are seven times more likely to get pregnant when they are a teen.
10. When a father is not present in the home a child is two times more likely to become obese.