Your home should be a safe haven. It should be a place free of illnesses and diseases. If you like to clean your house with harsh chemicals all the time though, you could be doing more damage than good. We live in a world where cleaning products are loaded with carcinogens. Here are some ways to make your home a carcinogen free home.
1. Don’t buy industrial cleaning products, make your own. When you use store bought cleaning products the chemicals and toxins that are in them can soak into your skin and can poison you little by little. Make your own out of vinegar, lemon juice, or baking soda.
2. Switch to natural versions of toothpaste from the local natural food store or make your own. You simply take 8 ounces of water, a heaping spoonful of baking soda, and then a drop of peppermint oil for taste.
3. Don’t use room sprays to freshen the smell of your home. Some have been linked to breast cancer. Instead use naturally made potpourri, flowers, or lemon juice on your dishes.
4. Stay away from body products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate, oxybenzone, or parabens.
5. Throw out those Teflon pans. As time goes on the coating wears down and you are left with a very toxic surface. Don’t use canned foods due to the BPA and never cook foods in plastic containers.
6. Take your shoes off at the door. They contain dirt, germs, pesticides among other dirty things and you don’t want to track that all through your house.
7. Switching to organic, un-processed foods can help you to lower your toxin intake.
8. Most of the water that we drink or shower with in our home is loaded with toxins. Filter your water before you drink it and get a filter for your shower as well.
9. Your mattress is full of chemicals, so reduce what you breathe in at night by covering it with an organic (not plastic) waterproof cover.
10. Switch your sheets to natural linen, cotton, wool, or down alternatives. Also switch your carpet to organic sisal or bamboo flooring.
11. Finally, stay away from heating blankets as the metal wiring inside them raises your exposure to EMFs.