Have you ever tried running? Have you ever experienced the feeling of the pavement pounding under your feet or the breeze in your face? Many people will come up with excuses as to why they can’t run but if you have never tried it you can’t understand the benefits that it has. Here is a list of some of the reasons that you should start running, even if it’s only for a short trek.
1. You can go anywhere and run. You can run on the sidewalk, on a treadmill, in the woods, on the beach, or even in a cemetery. If there is solid ground, you are good to go.
2. You can meet new people. You don’t have to start with competitions. Get together with a group of runners in your area.
3. You burn calories. It is no secret that a great cardio workout will burn a lot of calories.
4. You get some alone time. Your thoughts can run wild while you are running. There is no one there but you and nature. It is a great time to do some thinking.
5. You will live longer. There is evidence that shows that a moderate running routine every day can help to increase your lifespan.
6. It helps you to remember information. Physical activity is one of the best things that you can do not only for your body but for your mind as well.
7. You can cross goals off your list. Set a goal that you know you can achieve with a little hard work. It feels so good when you smash the goal and get to move on to the next one.
8. It helps you to smile. Running releases endorphins which are hormones that make you happy.
9. You will have more energy. It may seem like the opposite is true when you have exerted yourself but it actually gives your body a kickstart.
10. You get to spend more time outside in the fresh air.
11. You will sleep better. Studies have shown that those who get regular exercise sleep much better than their counterparts.
12. It’s good for your heart. It helps to naturally lower blood pressure and cholesterol with just 40 minutes a day, three to four times per week.
13. You see new places. Explore when you go running and go to a different place every time.
14. You will relieve stress. Running is a great outlet for when you are anxious or stressed out because it releases the feel-good chemicals into your brain.
15. You can reduce your risk of cancer by having a running routine.
16. Your immune system is boosted when you opt to go running. You will notice you have fewer colds than normal.
17. Shoe shopping! When you have beaten up your old pair of shoes or when you just start running that means it’s time to go shoes shopping.
18. Your bones will be protected. Studies have shown that your bones are less brittle when you get more exercise.
19. Once you are confident enough to run a race you can help others by raising money for whatever charity the race is giving sponsor money to.