Coconut oil not only smells great and tastes great, but has health benefits and some interesting uses in the home as well. Here are some of the top uses for coconut oil:
1. Dandruff: If you have a dry or flaky scalp simply rub some coconut oil onto your scalp. Leave it on there as long as you possibly can and then wash your hair as normal.
2. Moisturizer: Don’t go crazy because just one tablespoon will coat your entire body. Rub it into your body just like you would with regular lotion and it will leave your skin soft and smooth. It is great to reduce stretch marks on pregnant bellies too!
3. Shaving cream: If you don’t want the chemicals and perfumes that are in traditional shaving creams or if they dry your skin out too much, rub a little coconut oil onto the area. Let it sit for a minute and then shave away.
4. Tea: Add a small amount, around a teaspoon, to your favorite herbal tea in the morning. It feels a bit oily at first so you may have to start with a small amount and increase as you go along. It is great for your skin and for hydration purposes.
5. Butter substitute: You can use coconut oil as a substitute in almost any recipe instead of butter and vegetable oil.
6. Scrapes: Coconut oil is a great anti-inflammatory so you can put it on cuts and scrapes.
7. Lip balm: Melt the oil and place it in a container. For color add powdered food coloring. Put it in the fridge or freezer to let it harden.
8. Anti-Frizz: Put a very light amount of oil on your hands and smooth down the frizz.
9. Eczema and Psoriasis: Simply rub on the skin to moisturize problem areas.
10. Lip Scrub: Add brown sugar and a little honey to the oil and let it harden. Put it on your lips and rub them together, the sugar crystals act as an exfoliation system.
11. Anti-wrinkle Cream: Put some oil on a q-tip and dab under the eyes and in problem areas to soften the skin.
12. Make-up Remover: Put some oil on a cotton ball or q-tip and wipe the make-up off.
13. Conditioner: Add a tablespoon of oil to dry or dirty hair. Put it in a bun and leave it on for as long as you can. Shampoo as normal. Do this twice per week.