Many of us these days have jobs where we sit at a desk all day and stare at a computer screen. This doesn’t allow for much physical activity during the day. There are some exercises that you can do at your desk however that can help you to burn some calories while you are working. Here are six exercises as suggested by writer Monique Craig:
1. The Magic Carpet – Sit in your officer chair with your legs crossed. Place your forearms firmly on the arm rests of the chair. Push with your arms until your body is raised off of the seat, still with your legs crossed. Do this for 10-20 seconds at a time and then take a 30 second rest. Complete five reps and you will feel it in your arms and your stomach.
2. Squats – Put your office chair on the lowest setting possible. Then stand in front of it with your feet hip-width apart. Squat down until you are almost sitting in the chair and then lower yourself as slowly as possible into the chair. For an even harder version you can lift your hands above your head or do this on one leg.
3. Stretch – Before you start a long day of work make sure that you stretch out every muscle in your body. Start at the top and work your way down.
4. Exercise ball – Instead of sitting in a chair all day, try sitting on an exercise ball instead. (I personally do this for at least an hour every day and you can really feel it in your core). It takes away stress from your lower back, improves your posture, improves your balance, and helps you work your core muscles.
5. Leg Lift – While sitting in your chair lift one of your legs with your knee straight and hold it for five seconds. Do it again with the same leg only lift it a little higher. Repeat this 15 times per leg.
6. Push-ups – If you have a sturdy desk stand three feet away from it and place your hands on the edge of the desk. Slowly lower your body so that your chest touches the desk and then push back up. Repeat this 20 times.