Being stuck at a desk all day can really take a toll on your body. Remaining sedentary through the day is not good for your muscles and certainly not for your metabolism. If you have a desk job, here are some exercises you can do while sitting at your desk (without being seen by your coworkers).
1. To stretch out your hamstrings sit up straight and engage your abs. Take one of your legs and slowly raise it until your knee is no longer bent. Hold it for ten seconds and then release. This will not only stretch out the hamstrings but will also strengthen you abs and your thigh muscles.
2. Back problems are very common in people with desk jobs. You end up slouching through the day and don’t stretch enough. To stretch it out you need to sit up straight, keep your back off of the back of the chair, and engage your abs. As you are doing this lift your head high and twist your body slowly, starting with your lower back and working your way up.
3. You may develop calf or leg pain from sitting too much. Running in place at your desk can help to reduce that discomfort. While sitting in your chair, pick your feet up and down as if you were running in place. You can swing your arms too if you want to stretch those as well. Do this for 45 seconds and then rest for 15.
4. To improve blood flow to your heels and stop any discomfort, sit up straight and lift your heels off of the floor slowly until you are on your tiptoes. Do this 20 to 30 times.
5. To give your abs and thigh muscles a workout while you are sitting you can do leg raises. Sit up straight and lift your knees up, almost as if you were marching in place. Do this with one leg at first and then do it again with two. You can also lift your legs straight out and then lift them up as high as you can. Hold for a few seconds and then lower them slowly.