July is a month for cookouts, fireworks, and swimming. It is also a month where some of the best fruit is at its freshest! You can get some amazing produce at this time of year, and some of these are even superfoods which makes it even sweeter. Here are some summer superfoods that you can add to your diet to keep cool and healthy this summer.
1. Peaches – This sweet fruit is loaded with fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, and Vitamin A. These can help you to balance fluids and help keep your immune system running. Pick one up for a snack or grill them with some chicken.
2. Nectarines – Just like peaches, nectarines have Vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber. They can be eaten alone or cooked into a glaze to go on meat.
3. Tomatoes – Just one cup of tomato gives you a third of your daily recommended dose of Vitamin C and almost a third of your daily dose of Vitamin A too. They also contain Vitamins K, B6, and E along with fiber, folate, and potassium. There are endless possibilities for what you can cook with tomatoes.
4. Corn – A great summer cookout staple is corn on the cob. It is loaded with fiber and tons of water so you can stay hydrated while you are eating it. Corn also gives you 10% of your Vitamin C dose.
5. Strawberries – When these sweet fruits are at their peak there is nothing better for a tasty snack or dessert on a hot summer day. They are packed with Vitamin C, more than an orange in fact. They also have antioxidants.
6. Watermelon – When you think of summer, you think of watermelon. This fruit is a great way for you to stay hydrated while you are out in the hot summer sun. It also has Vitamin A and C, lycopene, and beta carotene.