By: Isabella Carson
Avocados are a creamy and delicious treat that have gotten a bad rap with the “high fat” food boycott trends. Yes, avocado is high in fat, but it’s high in the heart-healthy fat. There are so many benefits of eating avocado that you should have one every day!
1. Over the long-term avocados can help your brain get all of the nutrients that it needs. They can help your body to fight cancer, digestive issues, diabetes and eye or brain degenerative diseases. The healthy fats that are found in the avocados along with the fiber can help to lower your LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and raise your HDL (the good cholesterol). They are great for people who have issues regulating their blood sugar as well as the nutrients work with the pancreas.
2. If you plan ahead you can make the avocado ripening process work for you. When they are soft with a gentle squeeze they are ready to be eaten. If they are still firm they are not quite ripe enough yet. The trick is to figure out which ones are the closest to being ripe and eating those first while staggering the others based on firmness.
3. The creamy texture of avocado makes it a great alternative to mayo on sandwiches. It pairs well with so many different foods that you can have it on almost any sandwich. Many restaurants are now including avocado in their regular menu because of all of the health benefits. It is especially good on top of a salad or a burger.
4. The fat that is in avocados will not make you fat. In fact it will help you to feel full longer so that you don’t snack needlessly. Monounsaturated fats are heart-healthy fats that come with a lot of benefits.
5. In one avocado you will find over 18 different amino acids that are essential to healthy growth. They have Omega-3s, vitamins galore, and lots of fiber. All of these things come together to ensure that you are getting the nutrients that you need as well as ensure that you are the healthiest you can be!