There are many healthy foods out there that will do a body good. But there are some that can actually be worse for you than you think even though they are touted as “healthy” foods if you overdo it. Here are five foods that you should watch out for.
1. Green Tea: This no calorie drink has a ton of great benefits but if you drink too much the side effects will outweigh them. Green tea is known to help with weight loss, soothe nausea, headaches, and diarrhea. But if you are drinking more than five cups per day the amount of caffeine that you are ingesting with make those symptoms worse. Green tea also reduces the amount of iron that is absorbed into your blood.
2. Olive Oil: This is a great cooking alternative to regular oil or butter because it is full of monosaturated fats which help lower cholesterol. However if you pour it into the pan without measuring you may be adding hundreds of calories to your meal that was healthy to start with. Make sure to use measuring spoons!
3. Detox Juicing: When you juice your favorite fruits and veggies you are getting rid of all of the fiber. Fiber is what keeps you full and satisfied longer. You will end up drinking more juice which will help you to get minerals and vitamins but will also end up making you take in more calories as well.
4. Nuts: Nuts are high in protein and monosaturated fats. In moderation they can be great for you. The problem however is that even though they contain heart healthy fats, they are almost 80% fat. The calories add up quickly and the healthy fat becomes unhealthy if you consume too much. Don’t eat right out of the container, take a handful and eat only that.
5. Sushi: Many people enjoy eating raw fish. It has tons of omegas in it which have a bunch of benefits. However there is another thing that you are eating while you are having that raw fish. You are exposing yourself to mercury. Mercury can be a toxin if too much is ingested, so eat the raw seafood sparingly.