Now that it is Autumn, the produce department at your local grocery store is stocked full of great foods for you to eat! Here are 15 Superfoods that you should be eating this harvest season.
1. Apples: This fruit is a sweet treat that you can have any time. It fills you up and is also great for your teeth if you are eating it whole.
2. Brussel sprouts: These veggies are not for everyone but if they are made the right way they can taste great. They are a great source of iron and vitamin K.
3. Parsnips: These potassium and fiber rich veggies look like white carrots. They have a sweeter flavor than carrots and are great for flavoring potatoes or soups.
4. Pears: This fruit is sweet and delicious. They are a great source of vitamin C and fiber.
5. Turnips: This veggie is an alternative to cabbage or radishes. They are a great source of vitamins A, C, K and folate.
6. Cauliflower: This veggie has a sweet and almost nutty taste. It is great to go with fall dishes and is easy to mash or puree if you don’t want potatoes. It is full of phytonutrients that can help lower cholesterol.
7. Squash: Summer squash is different than the harvest squash that comes in the fall and winter. Winter squash is sweet and has a finer texture. It is full of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A.
8. Pumpkin: This is practically a staple of fall. It is a type of winter squash and is moist and sweet. It is great in pies, coffee, and cakes. Pumpkin is a great source of potassium and 20% of your daily fiber.
9. Sweet potatoes: High in vitamin A and fiber, sweet potato is a great side dish for most meals.
10. Rutabaga: This is a cross between a turnip and cabbage. It is a good source of fiber and vitamin C.
11. Pomegranates: This slightly sour fruit is full of antioxidants. It is great for vinaigrettes and marinades.
12. Dates: Dates are low in fat, high in fiber, and are great when added to cookies and pies or even cream cheese.
13. Kiwi: This bright green fruit is tropical and tangy. It is great with other fruits and is a good source of vitamin C as well as potassium and copper.
14. Grapefruit: Sour but slightly sweet, the grapefruit has a ton of vitamin C and antioxidants.
15. Tangerines: The sweeter cousin of oranges, the tangerines are a great anytime snack and are great with other fruits. They are full of vitamin C and beta-carotene.