When you eat food, do you think about the effects that it has on your mood? Eating foods that are high in sugar can help to spike your energy, but then there is a crash after. There are certain foods that can help you to elevate your mood and feel more energized without the crash after.
To help raise your mood there are certain things you need to do:
– Eat often. Try eating every three or four hours so that your blood sugar does not drop. A drop in blood sugar could make you cranky and sluggish.
– Don’t skip meals. The hungrier you become, the crankier you will get. We have all seen the Snickers commercials right?
– Know what foods you should avoid. Before you go grocery shopping do research and make a list. Stick to that list when you are in the store. Try to avoid sugar, refined carbs, and alcohol
Now here are the foods that you should eat to get a great burst of energy and to help lift your mood.
– Protein: Eating protein can help to slow the absorption of carbs into your system. This can help you to be in a better mood for hours after you eat. Some great foods with protein include eggs, meat, poultry, tofu, seaweed, and low-fat yogurt (but be careful of the sugars in the yogurt).
– Vitamins: Vitamin D has been shown to relieve symptoms of mood disorders. Studies have also shown that Vitamin B12 can increase your mood as well. Drink some milk for your Vitamin D dose along with a supplement. For Vitamin B12 you can have cottage cheese, lean beef, or salmon.
– Fiber: Soluble fiber can help to slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream which can help to level off mood swings that come with sugar highs. Some foods with fiber in them are brown rice, barley, pears, and peas.