Flinstones Vitamins are a staple in so many American homes but if parents knew what was in these vitamins they may not be so quick to give them to their children. They have been found to have GMO’s, additives, and all kinds of other ingredients that should not be given daily to children. Here is a list of some of the things that are added to the vitamins:
– Cupric Oxide: In Europe this additive is listed as a dangerous mineral. It is used for different things such as pigments for ceramics and dry cell batteries.
– Aspartame: A synthetic sweetener that is known to turn into formaldehyde in the body and has been linked to many different health risks.
– Sorbitol: This is another artificial sweetener. It has been linked to different gastrointestinal issues.
– Zinc Oxide: This is mainly found in sunscreen as UV protection (SPF). It is listed as hazardous to the environment in Europe but American manufacturers seem to have no issues putting it in foods that children eat.
– GMO Corn Starch: The vitamin C that is listed as ascorbic acid on the label may actually come from GMO corn.
– Ferrous Fumarate: This chemical is not found in nature. Bayer has a clause about accidental overdoses from the vitamins and it could be because of this one chemical. It is toxic and is the leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under the age of 6 years old.
– Coal Tar Artificial Coloring Agents: Synthetic dyes like this one are known to cause ADHD. They also have a neurotoxicity that is stronger when combined with aspartame.
Bayer is the company that makes these vitamins. On their website they quote a statistic that states that 82% of kids don’t get enough nutrients from the vegetables they are not eating. They make it seem like their vitamins are what is going to fill the nutritional gaps. It is scary to think that we are made to believe that these vitamins are okay to give to children and yet they are so chock full of ingredients that could be hazardous to their health.