Black women are becoming more empowered every day. They have found great success for themselves by running their own businesses and having wonderful families. Unfortunately they are also still finding that they have more mental health issues that anyone else. Why is this? The theory is that black women have a higher rate of mental health issues because of depression due to injustices that they suffer that others don’t. These include cultural alienation, racism, s*xual exploitation, and violence.
One of the biggest problems that these women who suffer from depression, anxiety, or other mental disorders, do not seek treatment. They tend to make their disorders out to be much less than what they really are. They think that they are just a little sad or a little stressed. If they do feel that they need some help they will turn to someone for support instead of seeking professional help. Mental health professionals have not made things easy for black women as they frequently misdiagnose disorders or miss them completely. Many women feel that they cannot get the adequate help that they need.
There are some great ways that you can help yourself if you feel that you are suffering from a mental illness although if symptoms are severe a professional diagnosis may be indicated. Here are some ways to improve mental health:
1. Have a healthy identity. Know who you are and what you are about.
2. Self-confidence is essential for a healthy mind. Look at all of the positive things that you have done in life and strive to continue to do positive things.
3. Be optimistic. Thinking negatively all day will get you nowhere and could make mental health symptoms much worse.
4. Use the social contacts that you have as support. It is always nice to have someone to lean on and talk to.
5. Recognize the symptoms of something more severe and seek professional help if your life is too disrupted.