Fish is a very healthy food for you. It can give you plenty of protein and other nutrients that are great for your mind and body. However if you are eating farm-raised fish you are actually doing damage to your body instead of feeding it good food. Here are some reasons why farm-raised fish are dangerous:
1. Salmon that are raised on a farm have been found to have ten times the amount of pollutants that can cause cancer than fish that are caught out in the wild. The feed that they are given contains chicken feces and there is often transfer points at the farms for duck and pig waste.
2. Dioxin is found in salmon. It is something that has been known to cause cancer and other horrible diseases. However the amount in wild salmon is so small that there is little to no effect. The farm salmon however have eleven times the amount of dioxin in them.
3. Tilapia that is raised on a farm has been shown to cause inflammation in your body. If you already have an inflammatory disorder you should stay away from this type of fish. It is readily available and usually the choice of many because it is one of the cheaper types of fish.
4. Farm-raised fish are more prone to diseases than the fish in the wild so to compensate for that and keep them alive the farmers give them antibiotics. Those antibiotics are then transferred to your system when you eat the fish.
5. Dibutylin which is a chemical that is used to make PVC pipe is found in muscles. It is six times higher in the muscles that are raised on a farm. It can impair your immune system as well as cause inflammation.
6. There are fewer nutrients in farm-raised fish so they end up not being as healthy as you may think they are. They have lower protein amounts and the omega-3s that are in farm-raised fish are pretty much useless to our bodies.