If you have ever seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead you know about juicing. It is about a man in Australia who loses a ton of weight and makes himself healthier by juicing fruits and veggies and drinking only the juice for sixty days. Is this truly healthy though?
Juicing has certainly become all the rage in big cities like NYC where you can find a juice cart on the corner with their beautifully colored juices that boast a healthy lifestyle if you drink them. Some doctors however will tell their patients to avoid juicing, but why?
1. Juicing will leave you very hungry. Liquids go through your stomach twice as fast as solid foods do which means you become hungry much quicker. This can end up with binge eating throughout the day.
2. You need to eat at least some healthy fats throughout the day. Fat-free is not the way to go for the entire day. Fruits and veggies have virtually no fat in them. You need healthy fats that can be found in nuts and avocados. These are good for your heart and good for your metabolism.
3. To keep your digestive system running smoothly and stopping things from getting blocked up, you need fiber. If you are liquefying all of your fruits and veggies, you are throwing out the pulp which is where the fiber comes from. Your intestinal muscles need fiber in order to move things along and if you are juicing all day you are not getting the fiber you need.
4. There are some good germs and you are missing out on them when you only drink the juice. The fiber in the plants is needed for fermentation in the intestine which helps to keep your digestive system working.
5. You cannot detox on juice alone long-term. If you are looking to rid your body of toxins, you need to eat fiber. A one day juice cleanse is fine, but if you want to cleanse every day you need the fiber that is in the pulp of the fruits and veggies you are juicing.