When you think about being married, you think about being with one person for the rest of your life right? That is how most of us were brought up. But polyamory (multiple spouses) is something that is becoming more of a trend. Here are some things that you may not know about polyamory.
1. There is nothing that shows that being in a monogamous relationship is better for you in terms of your health and how long you live as opposed to being in a polyamorous relationship. For some people monogamy just feels like the better choice for them while other people feel that they are better off with multiple partners in their lives.
2. Monogamy used to be about inheritances and protecting the wife and kids if something should happen to the husband because women weren’t really out in the workforce like they are today. Now women are becoming much more self-sufficient so that logic is no longer needed. These days it is not so much that women feel they should definitely be in a monogamous relationship but more that they want to be treated with respect and not lied to about an affair.
3. Gay men practice non-monogamous relationships often but still struggle with jealousy issues while they are in these relationships. Jealousy is a part of all of us, no matter what our orientation is.
4. Children in polyamorous relationships do just as well as those in strictly monogamous families. Their families need to be open to discussion with the children and answer with what is appropriate for their ages, but shouldn’t hide the relationship that they are in as it could be confusing.
5. Polyamory is not easy. It takes a lot of hard work and an emotionally strong person. There are going to be feelings of jealousy, but as long as the person knows how to keep those feelings at a level where it is not destroying the relationship, they can work through it.
Would you consider abandoning monogamy?