Losing weight is extremely difficult and can be very frustrating. There are many reasons that people gain weight from being depressed, to taking a new medication, to eating an unhealthy diet. But when they finally decide it’s time to get rid of the weight, they find it to be a tough process. Here are five reasons that people give up when they are trying to lose weight:
1. They feel that it is taking too long. Massive weight loss in a short amount of time is not good for your body. Healthy loss is 1-2 pounds per week. That’s it. Find ways to celebrate hitting smaller goals so that you can stay on track instead of becoming discouraged.
2. They are hungry. Eating less when you are trying to lose weight is hard because you are hungry and end up giving up and binging. Try eating more of lower calorie foods like veggies and grains so that you feel full but don’t have to work as hard to burn them.
3. They miss their favorite junk foods. Pizza, fries, ice cream…all shouldn’t really be eaten but when that’s all you have eaten before it’s a hard habit to break. Try finding healthier versions of your favorite foods such as frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, or a gluten-free pizza with veggies on it.
4. They despise exercising. Not everyone loves a good hard exercise session. You need to find something that you enjoy doing. If you like dancing, take up a ballroom dance class or take Zumba. If you like walking, get some friends together for a brisk walk. There are many different forms of exercise and once you find one that you like, it won’t feel like exercise anymore.
5. They have tried everything and still aren’t losing weight. Sometimes it’s because they aren’t doing the right type of exercise, miscounting calories, not eating enough foods through the day, or not getting enough sleep. Seek the help of a nutritionist or physical trainer and they may be able to give you insight on small changes.