Losing weight is a battle that many struggle with. Some have a harder time than others because they believe these little lies that they hear about weight loss. Here are seven that should be tossed out according to celebrity fitness and nutrition educator JJ Virgin:
1. Soy is a healthy food: You will find soy in most vegetarian and vegan diets. The problem is that it is spun in aluminum casks, is full of GMOs, and is sprayed with pesticides. It has been shown to cause issues such as digestive problems, cognitive declines, and thyroid issues.
2. Low-fat and fat-free are better options: Anything that is not full fat is loaded with more sugar so that it tastes good. Fats are not as bad as they are always made out to be and in cases such as milk and yogurts, they are better to have than the alternatives.
3. Calories are calories no matter what you are eating: Not all calories are created equal. If you eat 100 calories from veggies or 100 calories from cookies your body will be able to process the veggies and you will feel much better than if you ate those cookies.
4. Slow weight loss is better: The quicker you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off. Fast weight loss is a great motivator. Many people will not see the results they want at 1 or 2 pounds per week and end up giving up.
5. Agave is healthy for you: Agave nectar actually has more fructose in it than some sweeteners out there so it really is not a healthier option.
6. Grazing will help you lose more weight: Wrong. You should be eating solid meals when you are hungry and not snacking all day. When you graze you are raising your insulin levels constantly which causes your body to have less fat-burning potential.
7. Moderation is key: Moderation is a diet killer. If you think that you can eat anything as long as it is in moderation you will still tend to stick to foods that are not healthy for you. If you know that you can eat as much as you want with healthier foods like veggies you will eat better and feel more satisfied.